West Springfield Massachusetts History
Hampden County has a lot to offer and West Springfield is very close to some of the major attractions. If you live in the West Springfield area, you must enjoy the city, as it is a great place to live, work, shop, eat, travel and enjoy.
The Metacomet and Monadnock Trail trails run through West Springfield and pass through the town of Springfield on their way to Hampden County Park and Recreation Center. With a population of about 1.5 million people and an area of 2.2 million square feet, it can be reached from both the east and west, and from the capital city of Boston, as well as from New York City and Boston to the north and south.
West Springfield is often referred to as the West Side and is a small town on the west side of the Connecticut River that separates it from the east side of Springfield and from New York City and Boston to the north and south. WestSpringfield is often referred to as "the West Side" and is an area of about 1.5 million square feet divided into west, east and east by the Hartford River. It is often described as part of a large city of 2.2 million people, divided between west and east by a Connecticut river.
The Connecticut state border is on the edge of the wealthy suburb of Longmeadow, which separated Springfield from it in 1783. The settlement was renamed after an incident that accelerated the settlement of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
West Springfield was incorporated as part of the territory that comprised modern-day Agawam and most of Holyoke. The first settlement of West Springfield by the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1776 took place at the site of Hadley Falls, conveniently located near Hadleys Falls. The first census in WestSpringfield, the first of its kind in Massachusetts, took place in 1805 at a location on the west side of Longmeadow Road, conveniently located near Hadley Falls.
US Route 5, currently known as Riverdale Road, has been rebuilt to bypass downtown Springfield and West Springfield to build a new segment. It was expanded in 1953 and expanded and expanded in 1958, and many businesses closed and moved to other parts of West Springfield, making it an ideal location for the construction of Interstate 91, which would connect Springfield to Agawam on the West Coast with numerous bridges. The U.S. Route 5 (now also known as the river road) was also modified in 1953 and 1958, with new segments being built in place of Longmeadow Road and along the west side of Hadley Falls.
In the early 1930s, a Chevrolet dealership moved to a new location at the intersection of Longmeadow Road and Riverdale Road on the west side of Hadley Falls. Springfield flourished in the late 19th and early 20th centuries because of the Connecticut River, which provided access to many of the state's most important industries, including steel, coal and steel mills. It was also a pit stop for those who escaped slavery in the South, as it was bordered by a Connecticut river and had access to trains and railroads. The New England Railroad, the first of its kind in North America, also passed through Springfield.
The old meeting house, built in 1802, still stands on Elm Street, although it is no longer used as a church. West Springfield has two historic church buildings that represent the city's history and cultural heritage. The Gothic-style brick church opened in 1881 to provide residents of downtown and WestSpringfield with access to a variety of services, including public schools, a public library and a school for the disabled.
For more comprehensive local history collections, including archival material and help with genealogical research, please contact us. Springfield newspapers before 1900 held at the West Springfield Public Library and Springfield Museum of Art and History.
Hampden County has a lot to offer, and West Springfield is a special place to live and work. We love serving the great people of this city and we are very close to all major attractions.
The city is known as the West Side because it is located on the west side of the Connecticut River in Springfield, a fact that played an important role in the early history of the city. West Springfield has been described as the "crossroads of New England" due to its proximity to Boston, New York City and Boston. The area known as WestSpringfield was settled in 1635 and the city was originally known as the "West Side" because it was located on a west side of the Connecticut River and Springfield. This fact played an important role in its earliest history as a crossroads for the people of Hampden County.
The original settlement of what is now downtown Springfield was located on the west side of the Connecticut River at the intersection of East Main Street and West Springfield Street. With the founding of the Western Railroad in 1841 and the construction of Union Station in the early 1840s, WestSpringfield on the Connecticut River became a hub for industrial and rail traffic. In 1870, the Western Railroad became the Boston and Albany, and when Union Station was built, it served many railroad lines that ran through the industrial city, including the New York, Boston and New Jersey Railroad and the Massachusetts Central Railroad.